10 Fun Fact to know before going Oktoberfest Munich 2015
As we prepare to celebrate Oktoberfest Munich 2015 we’ve rounded up ten facts everyone should know about the event.
1) It is not a beer festival. It started as the celebration of the marriage of Crown King Ludwig and Queen Therese of Saxe-Hildburghausen in October 1810 and is now a celebration of their anniversary.
2) It doesn’t start in October – Oktoberfest starts on Saturday 19th September when the Mayor of Munich cracks open the first keg and runs to 4th October. That’s 16 days of beer drinking but who’s counting?
3) Oktoberfest doesn’t serve beer- instead they serve ‘bier’ (nearly 7m litres) brewed especially for the event by six local breweries all within the Munich city limits.
4) It’s not all about booze – music plays a huge part in the event with Brass bands playing Oompah classics in every tent.
5) Don’t try and steal the beer glasses. Over 140,000 were confiscated last year as party goers attempted to hold onto them as souvenirs.
6) It’s all about survival of the fittest – Oktoberfest bier is far stronger than typical German larger averaging at 6% and is traditionally served in a litre stein so some preparation is recommended.
7) Paris Hilton is banned from Oktoberfest – The American socialite arrived in 2006 to promote a brand of canned wine and after a drunken outrage and offensive outfit she was banned.
8) No need for tinder – Depending on which side the apron is tied on the ladies’ dirndl, signals whether you are single. If the bow is on the left side of the apron it means single and ready to mingle.
9) There are 14 beer tents covering a vast 100 acres of space – that’s double the size of Green Park and almost 5 times the size of Clapham Common.
10) Oliver Struempfl, a German waiter set the record for carrying 27 litre beers glasses which is the most ever carried by one person. We don’t recommend you try this at home!
Check out our range of Oktoberfest fancy dress costumes by clicking here.